Lens-Artist-PC-104-Summer

~~~~~

Last summer was a bad summer

for fires in Australia.

However, there is rarely a summer when

we don’t have scenes like this

by fires somewhere in our dry land.

 

January 4th, 2013.

Loch Ard Gorge was the end of our

Great Ocean Road drive

with some Canadian friends.

At around 44/111 degrees C/F

the car park was literally

melting under our feet.

Manly Beach in early December/Summer.

Travel through rural areas in late summer

and you are more than likely to see

this scene repeated regularly.

Cropping stubble has been burned

to facilitate easier sewing to winter crops.

Strangely I thought this practise had died out

in favour of direct drilling and leaving

the stubble to help protect the soil

from wind or water erosion.

~~~~~

Lens-Artist Photo Challenge Patti:   Summer

Lens-Artist Photo Challenge Leya:    Summer

Lens-Artist Photo Challenge Amy:   Summer

Lens-Artist Photo Challenge Tina:    Surprise

Cee-BW-Challenge-Arches-Domes

~~~~~

York Minster,

Great Britain.

 

Shopping Mall,

Dubai

 

 

 

Closer to home…

Arch over

Avenue of Honour,

Ballarat.

 

Roll of Honour,

Avenue of Honour,

Ballarat.

Still in Australia…

El Alamein Fountain,

King’s Cross,

Sydney.

~~~~~

Cee’s Black & White Challenge:  Arches-Domes

~~~~~

Black_White

~~~~~

WeeklyPrompts-PC-Summer-Footwear

~~~~~

~~~~~

Summer feet both north and south

of the equator.



~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

These heeels are the result of 

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

I never could wear footwear that lets sand in.

 

 

Give me bare feet any day of the year.

~~~~~~

Weekly Prompt Photo Challenge: Summer-Footwear

Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge-Pick-a-Topic-3

~~~~~

Week 3 – Pick a Topic

~~~~~

Bird…Lilac Breasted Roller

 

Bus

Bridge…Sydney Harbour

~~~~~

 

WeeklyPrompts-PC-Bridge

~~~~~

Bridges from all over…

Probably Australia’s best known bridge.

Auckland Harbour Bridge, New Zealand.

 

A small rural bridge in

New Zealand’s North Island.

Arriving by ferry in Melbourne…

…and cruising under

Melbourne’s West Gate Bridge.

 

 

A footbridge in Geelong’s

Balyang Sanctuary.

 

A one lane bridge in Botswana’s

Okavango Delta.

 

Finally a bridge from my primary years of schooling.

Whoever said some of the old methods

of teaching are wrong is incorrect.

 Or maybe I am getting older and cannot remember

what I had for breakfast, but can remember incidents

and conversations which occurred nearly 60 years ago,

as if it were yesterday.  🙂

~~~~~

 

Weekly Prompt Photo Challenge:  Bridge

Sugar Sweet in Cairns

 

All my life I have associated sugar and Queensland. What I did not know was 95% of Australia’s sugar industry is located in Queensland. New South Wales claims the other 5%. In total 80% of sugar produced in Australia is exported making Australia the third largest raw sugar supplier in the world. Sugar cane is Australia’s seventh largest agricultural export valued at nearly 2 billion dollars. (Source: Australian Sugar Cane Industry)

100_5778Sugar

So it was only a mild surprise when some sugar cane fields appeared within five or ten minutes drive from our Cairns accommodation.

100_5779Sugar

Over the years television stations have shown a ten second news clip of sugar cane trains without really depicting their proximity to the cane field. Little did I know just how close the track was to the field.

100_5483Cane

We also hear of the wet and dry seasons in the tropics. I am not sure if this field is being rested or if it is too wet to plant. We did visit the area a few months after the 2011 Queensland floods.

100_5487Cane

The big surprise during our touring was seeing bananas and sugar side by side.

100_5777BananasClick or tap on images to view full size.