A rabbet (American English) or
rebate (British English) is a recess or groove cut
into the edge of a piece of machinable material,
usually wood.

Two simple rebate joints…

…in the legs of two of my workbenches.

After Googling rebate joints I’m not

at all certain that this one is a rebate.

  There has certainly been a rebate taken

from the bench legs, however,

I am beginning to think that is just a Woolly Joint  😉

And probably full of arthritis as well.